So I love it when I find a topic that generates a lot of comments. 😀
I’ve been working a lot with mesh clothing lately, and my post about whether it is good for dancing showed that it’s a very divisive issue.
Some people love it, some people hate it.
I can see both sides.
But I have so many questions about mesh.
- Why doesn’t it appear until it’s fully rezzed?
- Why doesn’t it appear if you click on it (like prims do)?
- Why does zooming your camera waaaayy out and then back in make things appear (only sometimes)?
- Do the specular/normal maps cause extra loading time (because it’s now loading 3 textures instead of 1)?
- What is http texture loading and does it make things faster?
- Why do some mesh heads rez as ginormous at first?
- Why do mesh attachments (clothing or whatever) first rez as ‘floating’ near their avatar?
- How do you make an applier (be it for clothing, fingernails, etc.)?
- What effect do the number of vertices/polygons have on how fast something mesh loads?
- Is there a difference between mesh props/decor and clothing that cause one to load faster than another?
- Mesh supposedly improves the LI of items, so how come mesh can be worse in some instances than prims/sculpties?
- What exactly is LOD and why do you have to set it higher in order to see certain items better/clearly?
- Do mesh eyes have as many problems as other mesh (have you ever seen avi’s without eyes)?
- Other than (supposedly) improving LI, what other advantages does mesh offer that you can’t get with prims/sculpties?
If you know the answer to any of these, please feel free to leave explanations/comments!
I will be investigating some of these on my own, of course, but all knowledge is appreciated. 🙂
Do you have problems/questions about mesh I haven’t mentioned/listed here?
What are they?